Sunday, April 12, 2009

My Personal Web Site

Recently I decided to build a web site for m y personal stuff. Initially I had two goals in my mind. To organize and publish my contents on internet and to exercise some techniques on the same web site in development.I started with a traditional website lay out in simple HTML and CSS with static contents. Then turned it into a PHP website to handle multiple pages with same layout. Then I added some coding to make it little dynamic with expending and collapsing menus with PHP and AJAX the internal processing of my PHP coding was inspired by Mambo and Joomla UI for content management but it was completely my own written code different then any other CMS. Then started adding links to my contents on flickr and you tube etc. and then I came to know a whole new world of widgets and gadget to embed and share the web contents. I did by embedding different objects from different sources, like you tube, slide share and flickr. Here is the is version of my website after implementing all above click the image below to visit the site.


When I first saw iGoogle in 2006, I was inspired by the technology and it was my first motive to know about AJAX technology. I had in my mind to make my site something like that having dynamic and moveable contents. In last six months I did lot of research on this technique red many articles and work of some other people. Finally I started building my own dashboard for my web site. I used JQuery to achieve to achieve dynamic behavior. Plus I created a standard for widgets for my dashboard after observing modules in PageFlakes and IGoogle and made a widget library for my dashboard. It is all in action now. In the site, each window is an independent widget that can be minimized, expanded and rearranged by viewer. Each widget has its own content and functionality. In this way I can add lot of contents on a single page and viewer don’t have to leave a page to go to new page. Some widgets can even be maximized to full screen or can show themselves in larger floating window on the same page.

You can visit the live website by clicking on the image below;


I will discuss some techniques I have applied in my site in my future blogs.


Ghaffar


No comments:

Post a Comment